Let me first clarify that unless convinced of its validity, no one should accept my opinion on this subject. This is the standard I set for myself, and it is the standard that I commend to others.
1. The Hadith in Sahih Muslim narrated by Fatima bint Qais on the subject of Tamim al-Dari indicated that he and is companions saw Dajjal in the form of a human being who was in chains:
“…..Then we hurriedly went on till we came to that monastery and found a well-built person there with his hands tied to his neck and having iron shackles between his two legs up to the ankles…….”
[It should be matter for methodological reflection that this description of Dajjal’s physical person makes no mention of him being blind in one eye.]
2. My understanding is that if Dajjal was in chains then the implication would be that he had not as yet been released by Allah Most High. Hence he would not as yet have traversed a day like a year, or a day like a month, or a day like a week, etc. mentioned in the Hadith in Sahih Muslim narrated by An-Nawwas b. Sam’an:
“……….We said: Allah’s Messenger, how long would he stay on the earth? He said.. For forty days, one day like a year and one day like a month and one day like a week and the rest of the days would be like your days……….”
The Hadith narrated by Fatima bint Qais confirmed such when Dajjal declared that he would soon be released:
“……..I am going to tell you about. myself and I am Dajjal and would be soon permitted to get out………”
3. My opinion is that we human beings cannot actually see Dajjal in the form of a human being (in contrast to seeing him in a dream or vision) unless and until his day is like our day, hence when he is in our world of space and time.
4. In order for Dajjal to be seen in a day which is like our day he would first have to be released, then he would have to live that period of his life in which a day would be like a year, then the period in which a day would be like a month, and then the period in which a day would be like a week.
4. It is therefore clear to me that it is not possible for Dajjal to been seen as a human being while yet in chains.
5. Since the Hadith declared that Dajjal was seen as a human being while yet in chains I have interpreted the event to have occurred as a vision. And Allah Knows best!
I trust that you will not be annoyed with me, or think ill of me, if I kindly request that no more emails be sent to me on this subject until, Insha Allah, I have completed writing my book on the subject.
Imran N. Hosein